Thursday, January 10, 2013

Morning Sickness?

We got an email from the new host family a couple days ago that said they were enjoying the kids.  All I can say is THANK GOODNESS.  And after yesterday, I am extremely grateful that it all worked out.

Whoever named morning sickness never had it.  It's a total crock.  24/7 sickness is more like it.   I think someone called it morning sickness because they knew no one would ever get pregnant if they knew what was really going to happen.  All I keep thinking is...45 more days of this??? REALLY???  It makes you want to just die.

Yesterday afternoon I was still super nauseous, but suddenly the room started spinning too.  If you can only think of one thing that really goes well with nausea, I'd say it would have to be a spinning room.  What a ride!

After it continued for an hour, I decided to call the OBGYN I had just made an appointment with to ask if this was normal.  I got the hotline, left a message and a few minutes later a nurse called back.  No niceties, just a simple, "Please go to the emergency room immediately."

She didn't get real specific on the problem, but said minimally I was probably very dehydrated.  This made me a little nervous and so I looked up webmd and discovered that if you are dizzy, nauseous and have cramping (I do) that it could be an ectopic pregancy.  Of course I went to the worst possible place and got really freaked out.

James was on his way home luckily and so we went straight to the ER.  We spent 6 hours there.  They did every blood and urine test imaginable.  I got an ultrasound and they pumped me full of fluids.

In the end it was a blessing because all the testing reassured us that the baby was OK, it was not ectopic, and James was thrilled to see on the ultrasound screen a teeny, tiny little speck of something with a beating heart.

The only thing I kept thinking was thank goodness we followed the prompting last week to find a place for the kids and thank goodness it all fell in to place because I have no idea what we would have done with them in the ER for 6 hours.  Or how I would have managed to successfully avoid the spitting and blows while the room was spinning.  A little weak humor.

We did get a secondary report today that things have been a little crazy with the kids, especially you-know-who.  I guess the newness wore off for him and he revereted to his comfort zone.  Sad face.  We did hear that Dana said she, "missed her papa" and that Sasha said the best part of his trip was, "spending time with James and Shauri."

This of course melts my heart and makes me sad.  But I know we are doing the right thing.  James will take them to the airport on Saturday with the blessed Melinda Richards, keeping me from having to add motion sickness and travel to morning sickness.  Bless her.  I think it will be very hard for James to say goodbye.  And I will celebrate my birthday in bed wishing that I wanted to move...at all...

4 comments:

  1. Oh what a whirlwind. Let me know if you need anything...saltines? A ride to the ER? I assume you won't want to do lunch next week, but maybe I can bring something to you. Hope the baby stays healthy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry, and at the same time so happy for you! Let me explain ... Morning sickness is awful. I'm sure the doc will give you some suggestions, but the thing that helped me the most was having something little (a cup of pre-packaged applesauce, a yogurt, a larabar, saltines, ect) every 2 hours.
    With Noah (our youngest) I ended up having something called a sub-chorionic hemmorage, and was on bedrest from weeks 7-12. That was the only time I was so grateful for morning (aka: round-the-clock) sickness. I knew as long as I had it, Noah was still in there safe and sound. Good luck, we'll keep you in our prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, "morning" sickness seemed to be a misnomer for me too. I learned if I'm careful about keeping my blood sugars steady – eating a very small amount of something first thing in the morning before I get out of bed and starting with protein helps me, and eating a little something every three hours. Zofran really helped me too... I still felt nauseous but I didn't have to live next to the toilet. I was able to crawl around the house and be the supermom I've always dreamed of by turning on movies and feeding my kids cold cereal a lot. ;-) The hardest part for me was giving myself permission to just survive, do my best and let everything else go for a little while.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a week!! I hope you are doing ok. Morning sickness is the worst!! Hopefully you can keep things low key... That always seemed to help me a little. Let me know if I can do anything for you guys!

    ReplyDelete